What are we doing here?

Just a few thoughts or considerations . . .
We, you & I, are here, alone together with keyboard & mouse.

Enjoyment, curiosity, boredom, casual browsing, or chance occurrence, whatever:
It's happened, you're 'here'. I hope you'll find your time not wasted in absorbing these ponderings...

Have you ever wondered about the places you go, or people you listen to, or things considered worthwhile or important?
No, probably not; it just happens...

-Just so you know... - This may not be a good idea. -
I tend to rant, ramble, or go off on complicated, yet poignant tangents, while trying to be clear & complete.


Call it an experiment. I'm just not sure I can say exactly what the hypothesis is; thus the results will not be absolute.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Vocabulary, Reflections, & this Writing Thing

It's been quite some time, seems like a couple of decades, since I've utilized this forum.
Life changes quickly sometimes.

I was a bit confused when my stats say I last published on 11/18/2011, and I can't seem to recall or see anything since 9/4.  Like I said, it's been quite some time.

I'm not quite sure yet what the topic or subject/title-line for today is yet; just felt like writing and have recently been encouraged to do so.

Most of the times when I feel like writing, I reserve.
As is stated in the header/introduction, "this may not be a good idea".


My concern is not that I will offend anyone; that's never my intention.
(Somehow it seems I  to do that without any intent at all.)

Back to my concern:
 Words are dangerous.

Thoughts are great. Feelings are more than OK too.
But words, yo buddy!  Gotta be careful with that vocabulary thing.

You see, the meaning of words are a lot like perceptions.
One can almost be assured that another is seeing what you see while beside you, having the same vantage point, understanding, while standing there looking, while having a conversation about what's visible & remarkable.  That assurance is only faith. Faith in vocabulary and the proper use of words, and of course, understanding itself.


If both stood there in silence, observing the remarkable without remarking, enjoying the togetherness in observation, both would remember the moment, the observation or view, in a comfortable feeling.

Maybe each would spend that moment considering themselves, or possibly the other, and the other's  perception.
But that really wouldn't matter, because it wasn't shared, just thought.  The only matter would be when words were used; the interaction.


I'm not even convinced that my concerns in writing are founded.  I'm not sure if they (concerns/reluctance) are for me, or the reader/hearer.  I don't wish to offend, but I don't want to be misunderstood either.
Words are dangerous, but I can't seem to get over my enthusiasm to use them succinctly; to connect & understand or portray.


Some concern comes from the turmoil around us, the difficulties, the news headlines, the economy, the politics, the opinions.  I've got all of the above & don't want the soapbox.  I just want to reflect my observations, and really, that's what they are, observations & things to consider.

Another MAJOR concern is that I am just too exposed, too open.  I should, most times, not let people see into my core being, the reality of me. That's not the way the world really works. Gotta keep a stiff upper-lip, appearances & all that, BE somebody.  (I know Ron & he's definitely not nobody, unless your counting Caesar's coins.)

Being too exposed & open is not necessarily a bad thing; in fact, I tend to think society needs to do just that.
Gotta get our heads outta the sand, or TV, Facebook, or whatever & look around.  Reality is everywhere & shouldn't be avoided.  Honesty & Reality are the keys to this crisis. (notice I didn't say 'Brutal Honesty' or 'Stark Reality'? Still gotta consider the human condition)


Back to communication, perceptions & reflections...

While I was sitting here watching my fingers on the keyboard & considering words, I recalled a writing I did some years ago.  Surprisingly, I quickly found it.  It should probably be a separate post, but I'll including it here for a bit of better understanding as to what I'm trying to get at; I'll post it separately in a few days.

The header of this work is:

Copyright  June, 2003; First Serial Rights, Ron Gedye  - In the mist of the fog, can you still see me? [ For my Friend; I see you.]


and the footer:

Unauthorized publication for profit or personal claim in any form or manner whatsoever is wholly prohibited without express written permission of the author. 

Duplication and distribution of complete and unaltered document image only (document creation must be method obscured) is permitted for general public use in accordance to the provisions contained herein.  Share, think and enjoy.

(guess I kinda did this about writing seriously at one time or another...)

Here's the thought/writing, enjoy & consider:



Sometimes,
I continuously wonder.
How it is possible
to see beyond the looking glass?

It's as if that all we have to do
 is take a brief moment to care,
 then, if we are aware we can see,
if only for a brief moment,
far into someone else's
reflection.

And somehow we are puzzled,
and stop in a moment of disbelief,
to ponder and calculate
 why it cannot be that easy
to see ourselves
until far after the damage is done.

How is it that we only have hindsight?
Spectacular 20/20 vision;
and then,
pretend we knew all along.

Is it hope?
Or is it simply desire,
hiding the things we know,
 from ourselves?
Or is it somehow,
mysteriously,
both?

As best as I can figure it is this…

Shine a bright light into the looking glass
and all you see is light.

Stare at the glass in total darkness,
and that is all you see.

Someday,
with joyous pain,
we will determine
 what we already knew was there.

But yet, we can't help to wonder,
if we are ever really ready to know.

And that's what real friends are really for;
 A brief glimmer in the dark, or shade in the blinding light.

Somehow, they are on the other side of the looking glass
and yet beside us at the same time.

Curiously seeing us, while looking for themselves.






I hope you enjoy my use of words and the reflections.  I'll try to line this thing out & be here more often; just please don't misunderstand me or find offense. It'll never be my intention to hurt or offend, not even observe & report; more like consider & reflect.


Thanks Gina & Jennifer for your compliments.  Hope you don't mind that I've take them as words of encouragement. Either way, I appreciate the reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment